Job ID: 97108
Pike Industries, Inc., a subsidiary and integral part of Oldcastle, is a leading Highway Contractor and the largest producer of Hot Mix Asphalt and Construction Aggregates in New England. Pike has experienced continual growth over the years and currently employs nearly 1,000 people throughout NH, ME and VT. The dedication, knowledge, and quality workmanship of our employees is what makes the company such a great success. If youre looking for a challenging career at a company that will reward your efforts, look no further. Take the first step and apply for an exciting opportunity to gain top notch industry experience and pave the road to your success. All Roads Lead Here!
All Roads Lead Here! If youre looking for a challenging career at a company that will reward your efforts, look no further. Let Pike Industries lead you on a rewarding career path to gain top notch industry experience and pave the road to your success!
Job Description Summary
Pike is looking to hire a college student to work as an Intern at the Sidney facility as part of our Quality Control, Aggregates, and Asphalt divisions for the summer. The position is based in Sidney, Maine and may also include field visits to other Pike facilities throughout Maine.
The summer will be broken into three segments so the selected student has the opportunity to learn three different aspects of Pikes operation.
- Quality Control (Lab) the selected student will spend the first few weeks in the quality control lab learning about the different materials we produce and the process to test to ensure all required specifications are met.
- Aggregate the next 3-4 weeks will be spent with the crushing operation. The intern will see an overview of the mine operation and then will get a deeper hands-on experience with understanding the crusher process, learning about the different products, understanding the maintenance of the crusher, and training to learn each of the roles required to keep the crusher operating.
- Asphalt the next 3-4 weeks will be spend with the asphalt operation. The intern will learn about the production process, learn about the different products the asphalt plant is able to produce, will learn about customer service and how to interact with the customers at the facility, will learn about the maintenance of the asphalt plant, and will train to learn each of the roles required to keep the asphalt plant operating.
- Quality Control (Field) The final few weeks will be spend with a member of the quality control team in the field. During this part of the summer the intern will see the asphalt product being installed on a project. The intern will see the process to transport the material and learn how to test to ensure accurate compaction and what steps to take if there is not.
During the summer the intern will have the opportunity to see the entire process of the operation of blasting stone, producing aggregate and asphalt, and the installation of the finished product. Throughout the summer the intern will also have the opportunity to travel to other facilities with a Pike Manager to experience different types of crushers and asphalt plants.
- The ideal candidate must be enrolled (planning to enroll) in a college degree program for the 2017-2018 school year.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, high stress environment
- Ability to work both independently and in a team setting
- Ability to write reports and analyze raw data
- Must have a valid drivers license and reliable transportation to commute to and from their work location, as well as between facilities and job sites when necessary.
What Oldcastle Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
Oldcastle has a long and proud heritage as one of North Americas largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the Oldcastle family. Oldcastle operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
Oldcastle is a great place to grow! If youre up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the Oldcastle family!
Pike Industries, Inc. is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on thislink.
Pike Industries, Inc. is part of theOldcastlecareersnetwork.